The Ultimate Ragi Dosa Recipe for a Nutrient-Packed Delight
Ragi dosa is a nutritious and gluten-free South Indian pancake made from finger millet flour, also known as ragi flour. It’s a healthy alternative to traditional dosa and is rich in fiber and essential nutrients, The Ultimate Ragi Dosa Recipe for a Nutrient-Packed Delight.
For the Dosa Batter:
- 1 cup ragi flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup urad dal (black gram dal), soaked
- Salt to taste
- Water, as needed
For the Dosa Topping:
- Finely chopped onions, tomatoes, and green chilies
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Oil or ghee for cooking
1. Prepare the Dosa Batter:
- Soak Urad Dal:
- Rinse the urad dal thoroughly and soak it in water for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Grind Urad Dal:
- Drain the soaked urad dal and grind it into a smooth paste using a little water. The consistency should be thick and creamy.
- Mix Ragi and Rice Flour:
- In a mixing bowl, combine ragi flour, rice flour, and the urad dal batter. Mix well to form a smooth batter. Add water gradually to achieve a pouring consistency.
- Fermentation (Optional):
- Allow the batter to ferment for 6-8 hours or until it rises and becomes slightly airy. Fermentation helps improve the taste and texture of the dosa.
2. Prepare the Dosa:
- Heat the Pan:
- Heat a non-stick dosa pan or a cast-iron skillet on medium heat.
- Grease the Pan:
- Grease the pan lightly with oil or ghee.
- Pour the Batter:
- Pour a ladleful of the ragi dosa batter onto the center of the pan.
- Spread the Batter:
- Quickly spread the batter in a circular motion to form a thin dosa.
- Add Toppings:
- Sprinkle chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, and coriander leaves evenly on the dosa.
- Drizzle Oil:
- Drizzle some oil or ghee around the edges of the dosa and a little on top.
- Cook the Dosa:
- Cook the dosa on medium heat until it turns crispy and golden brown.
- Fold and Serve:
- Fold the dosa in half and serve hot with your favorite chutney or sambar.
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter to make more dosas.
- Serve ragi dosa with coconut chutney, tomato chutney, sambar, or any other accompaniment of your choice.
- Enjoy this nutritious dosa for breakfast or as a light meal.
Tips and Variations
- Adjust the batter consistency by adding more water to get the desired pouring consistency.
- You can add grated vegetables like carrots or spinach to the batter for added nutrition and flavor.
- Experiment with different toppings and spices to suit your taste preferences.
Enjoy making and savoring these wholesome and delicious ragi dosas!