Poha is a popular and nutritious indian breakfast dish in India. It’s made from flattened rice and is known for its delicious flavors and ease of preparation. In this recipe blog, we will guide you through the process of making perfect Poha step by step. Whether you’re new to Indian cuisine or a seasoned chef, this recipe will surely become a breakfast favorite.
Ingredients For Poha:
– 2 cups of Poha (flattened rice)
– 2 tablespoons of oil
– 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
– 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
– 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions
– 1/2 cup of finely chopped potatoes
– 1/4 cup of frozen peas (optional)
– 1/4 cup of roasted peanuts
– 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped (adjust to your spice preference)
– 10-12 curry leaves
– 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
– Salt to taste
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
For Garnish (optional):
– Freshly grated coconut
– Sev (crispy chickpea flour noodles)
1. Preparing the Poha:
1. Take the Poha in a sieve or colander and rinse it under running water for a minute. Gently toss it while rinsing to ensure even moisture absorption. Be careful not to break the Poha.
2. Let the rinsed Poha sit in the sieve to drain excess water. It should become soft but still retain its shape.
1. Heat the oil in a large pan or kadhai over medium heat.
2. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter.
3. Add chopped green chilies and curry leaves. Sauté for a minute until fragrant.
3. Sautéing Vegetables:
1. Add chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
2. Add the finely chopped potatoes (you can parboil them for a quicker cooking time). Cook until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
3. If you’re using frozen peas, add them at this stage and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Adding Spices:
1. Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt over the sautéed vegetables. Mix well to evenly coat them.
2. Add the drained Poha and gently mix everything together, ensuring that the Poha is well combined with the spices. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Finishing Touches:
1. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the Poha and give it a final toss.
2. Add the roasted peanuts and mix well.
1. Serve hot, garnished with freshly chopped coriander leaves and your choice of garnishes like grated coconut or sev.
Enjoy your homemade Poha, and feel free to customize it with your favorite toppings and garnishes. It’s a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a quick breakfast or a light snack. We hope you love it as much as we do!