Palak Paneer is a popular North Indian vegetarian dish made with spinach and paneer (Indian cottage cheese). It’s a nutritious and flavorful dish that is often enjoyed with Indian bread like naan or rice, The Ultimate Palak Paneer Recipe: A Unique Twist to a Classic Indian Dish.
- 2 cups spinach (palak), washed and chopped
- 200 grams paneer (Indian cottage cheese), cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Step 1: Blanching the Spinach
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add the chopped spinach and blanch for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the spinach and immediately transfer it to a bowl of ice water to retain its green color.
- Drain again and blend the blanched spinach into a smooth paste. Set aside.
Step 2: Sautéing the Paneer
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the paneer cubes and sauté them until they turn golden brown. Remove the paneer and set aside.
Step 3: Making the Gravy
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, grated ginger, and green chilies. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften and the oil separates.
- Add the spinach paste and mix well.
- Stir in the turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Cook for a few minutes.
Step 4: Combining Spinach and Paneer
- Add the sautéed paneer cubes to the spinach gravy.
- Mix well and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Adjust salt and spices according to taste.
Step 5: Serving
- Transfer the Palak Paneer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan, roti, or steamed rice.
Enjoy this delicious and nutritious Palak Paneer dish, packed with flavors and goodness of spinach and paneer!