The Ultimate Dal Makhani Delight: Creamy Indian Lentils Unleashed!
Dal Makhani is a rich and creamy Indian lentil dish that’s packed with flavor and warmth. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you create this delightful recipe, The Ultimate Dal Makhani Delight: Creamy Indian Lentils Unleashed!.
1. Lentil Mixture:
- 1 cup whole black lentils (sabut urad dal)
- 1/4 cup red kidney beans (rajma)
- Water for soaking
- Water for boiling
2. Spice Mix:
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 large tomatoes, pureed
- 1-2 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
3. Creamy Additions:
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1. Soaking the Lentils:
- Wash the black lentils (urad dal) and red kidney beans (rajma) under running water.
- Soak them in enough water overnight or for at least 6-8 hours.
2. Boiling the Lentils:
- After soaking, drain the water from the lentils and kidney beans.
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked lentils and kidney beans with fresh water.
- Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until they are tender and cooked well.
3. Preparing the Spice Mix:
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste and green chilies. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Cook until the oil separates.
4. Combining the Ingredients:
- Once the lentils and kidney beans are cooked, mash them slightly with a ladle to thicken the mixture.
- Add the prepared spice mix to the lentils and beans. Mix well and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
5. Adding Creamy Goodness:
- Stir in the cream and butter, and let the dal makhani simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Adjust salt and spice levels according to your taste.
6. Garnishing and Serving:
- Transfer the dal makhani to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, naan, or roti.
Enjoy this delicious Dal Makhani recipe that’s sure to impress your taste buds with its creamy texture and aromatic spices!