Veg Biryani is a flavorful and aromatic rice dish loaded with vegetables, spices, and basmati rice. It’s a popular Indian dish loved by vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. This recipe brings out the authentic flavors and aroma of Biryani with a vegetarian twist, Crafting Biryani with Love: Achieving the Perfect Balance of Flavors in Veg Biryani.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, potatoes, beans)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup ghee or vegetable oil
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 4-5 green cardamom pods
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1-2 star anise
- 1-2 black cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk
- Salt to taste
1. Preparing the Rice:
- Wash the basmati rice under running water until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Preparing the Vegetables:
- Chop the mixed vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Parboil the vegetables in salted water for 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Sautéing the Onions:
- Heat ghee or oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and sauté until golden brown. Remove half for garnishing.
4. Adding the Whole Spices:
- To the remaining onions in the pot, add bay leaves, cloves, green and black cardamom pods, cinnamon, and star anise. Sauté for a minute.
5. Adding Aromatics and Yogurt:
- Stir in ginger-garlic paste and green chilies. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add yogurt, mixing well. Cook until the oil starts to separate.
6. Layering the Biryani:
- Add the parboiled vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
- Layer the soaked rice evenly over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Pour saffron milk over the rice for a vibrant color.
7. Cooking the Biryani:
- Add 4 cups of water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and let it cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
8. Garnishing and Serving:
- Once cooked, gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- Garnish with the sautéed onions.
- Serve hot with raita or a side salad.
Enjoy your homemade Fragrant Veg Biryani with its aromatic flavors and delightful taste!
Feel free to adjust the spice levels and ingredients to suit your taste preferences. Happy cooking!