Matar Paneer: A Heartwarming Recipe Crafted with Love
Matar Paneer is a classic North Indian dish that combines the creamy goodness of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) with the vibrant flavors of green peas (matar). This vegetarian delight is a staple in many households and a popular choice in Indian restaurants. Let’s dive into creating this mouthwatering Matar Paneer recipe, Matar Paneer: A Heartwarming Recipe Crafted with Love.
Ingredients: For the Gravy:
- 2 cups of blanched green peas (matar)
- 250 grams of paneer (cottage cheese), cubed
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, pureed
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of fresh cream
- 1/2 cup of cashew nuts, soaked in warm water
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
For the Spice Mix (Masala):
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1. Preparing the Spice Mix:
- In a dry pan, roast the cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, bay leaf, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds until fragrant. Allow them to cool, then grind them into a fine powder. This is your homemade masala mix.
2. Preparing the Cashew Nut Paste:
- Grind the soaked cashew nuts into a smooth paste using a little water. Set this paste aside for later.
3. Sautéing the Onions:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent and slightly brown.
4. Adding Aromatics:
- Stir in the minced garlic, grated ginger, and green chilies. Sauté for a few more minutes until the raw smell disappears.
5. Adding Tomato Puree:
- Add the pureed tomatoes to the pan and cook until the oil starts to separate from the tomato mixture.
6. Incorporating the Spice Mix:
- Now, add your homemade spice mix (masala) along with turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Cook for a few minutes, allowing the spices to meld with the tomato mixture.
7. Cashew Nut Paste and Cream:
- Add the cashew nut paste and fresh cream to the pan. Stir well and cook for a couple of minutes, allowing the gravy to thicken and become creamy.
8. Adding Green Peas and Paneer:
- Toss in the blanched green peas and cubed paneer. Gently mix everything together and let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes until the paneer absorbs the flavors.
9. Finishing Touch:
- Sprinkle garam masala and give it a final stir. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
10. Serving Matar Paneer:
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves, and your Matar Paneer is ready to be served.
- Serve this scrumptious Matar Paneer with warm naan, roti, or steamed rice for a complete meal.
Enjoy your homemade Matar Paneer, a comforting dish that’s rich, creamy, and bursting with Indian flavors. Your taste buds will thank you!