Authentic Akki Roti Recipe – Crispy Rice Flour Flatbread
Akki Roti is a traditional South Indian flatbread made from rice flour, typically enjoyed in Karnataka. This gluten-free, crispy, and flavorful flatbread is easy to make and perfect for breakfast or a light meal. Here’s a detailed recipe to help you recreate this delicacy in your own kitchen, Authentic Akki Roti Recipe – Crispy Rice Flour Flatbread.
- Rice Flour (Akki Hittu):
- 2 cups rice flour (coarsely ground)
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed vegetables (carrots, onions, spinach, cilantro, etc.)
- Spices and Seasoning:
- 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- 1.5 to 2 cups warm water (approximately)
- Freshly grated coconut (optional)
- Ghee or butter for serving (optional)
- Prepare the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rice flour, chopped vegetables, green chilies, grated ginger, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, and salt.
- Knead the Dough:
- Gradually add warm water and mix the ingredients to form a soft and pliable dough. The dough should be moist but not too sticky.
- Divide the Dough:
- Divide the dough into equal portions, shaping them into balls of about the size of a lemon.
- Prepare the Rotis:
- Heat a tawa or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Take a portion of the dough and flatten it on a banana leaf or a greased parchment paper, shaping it into a round flatbread about 1/4 inch thick. Make a hole in the center to ensure even cooking.
- Cook on the Tawa:
- Carefully transfer the flattened dough onto the hot tawa. Drizzle a few drops of oil around the edges and in the center hole.
- Cook Until Crispy:
- Cook on medium heat until the edges start to crisp up and turn golden brown. Flip the roti and cook the other side, applying a little oil if needed, until it’s golden and crispy.
- Repeat the process for the remaining portions of dough.
- Serve hot Akki Roti with a dollop of ghee or butter and freshly grated coconut on top. Pair it with coconut chutney, pickle, or yogurt for a delightful meal.
Enjoy the crispy and delicious Akki Roti, a true delight from South India!
Tips and Variations:
- Adjust the water quantity to achieve the right dough consistency; it should be soft and pliable.
- Customize the vegetables based on your preferences.
- Experiment with adding grated coconut or chopped herbs to enhance the flavor.
- If you prefer spicier rotis, increase the amount of green chilies.
- To make it even healthier, use a mix of whole-grain flours alongside rice flour.