Cooking Up a Delectable Lauki Ki Sabzi: Your Ultimate Guide to a Classic Indian Bottle Gourd Curry
Lauki Ki Sabzi, also known as Bottle Gourd Curry, is a traditional North Indian dish that combines the mild flavor of bottle gourd with aromatic spices. This simple yet flavorful curry is not only healthy but also easy to prepare. Follow this recipe to create a mouthwatering Lauki Ki Sabzi at home, Lauki Ki Sabzi: A Delicious Indian Bottle Gourd Curry.
For the Main Curry:
- 1 medium-sized bottle gourd (lauki), peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1. Preparing the Bottle Gourd (Lauki)
- Start by peeling the bottle gourd and removing the seeds. Then, dice it into small cubes.
2. Sautéing the Cumin Seeds
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
3. Sautéing Onions and Ginger-Garlic Paste
- Add finely chopped onions and sauté them until they turn translucent.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste and continue cooking for another minute until the raw aroma disappears.
4. Adding Spices
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until the oil starts to separate.
5. Tomato Puree
- Pour in the tomato puree and cook until the oil separates from the mixture.
6. Adding Bottle Gourd
- Add the diced bottle gourd (lauki) into the pan and mix well with the masala.
7. Cooking the Curry
- Pour in half a cup of water and bring it to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook until the bottle gourd becomes tender, stirring occasionally. This will take around 15-20 minutes.
8. Garam Masala
- Once the bottle gourd is tender, sprinkle garam masala over the curry and stir.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot Lauki Ki Sabzi with steamed rice or Indian bread like roti or naan. Enjoy this simple yet delicious dish that’s perfect for a wholesome family meal.
- Be sure to choose a young, tender bottle gourd for the best results.
- Adjust the spiciness by varying the amount of red chili powder.
- You can also add a pinch of sugar to balance the flavors if needed.
- Lauki Ki Sabzi tastes even better the next day, so it’s great for leftovers.
I hope you find this detailed Lauki Ki Sabzi recipe helpful and enjoy preparing and savoring this classic Indian dish!