Besan Chilla, also known as Pudla, is a popular Indian savory pancake made from gram flour (besan). It’s a quick and healthy option for breakfast or a light meal. This versatile dish can be customized with various vegetables and spices to suit your taste, Love Wholesome Delights: Mastering the Art of Besan Chilla (Pudla) – An Indian Pancake Delicacy.
For the Batter:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup water (adjust for desired consistency)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- Ghee (clarified butter) for serving (optional)
1. Prepare the Batter:
- In a mixing bowl, add gram flour (besan), chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, grated ginger, and chopped spinach.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds, and salt to the bowl.
- Gradually pour water into the mixture while whisking to avoid lumps. Adjust water to achieve a smooth, pourable batter consistency. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
2. Heat the Pan:
- Place a non-stick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or frying pan on medium heat.
- Add a few drops of oil and spread it across the pan.
3. Cook the Chilla:
- Pour a ladleful of batter onto the hot pan and spread it in a circular motion to form a thin pancake.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil around the edges of the chilla to promote crispiness.
- Allow it to cook on medium heat until the edges start to brown and the surface appears cooked. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
4. Repeat the Process:
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter, adding oil to the pan before pouring each ladleful of batter.
- Once cooked on both sides, remove from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- Serve hot Besan Chilla (Pudla) with your favorite chutney, yogurt, or pickles. Optionally, drizzle some ghee on top for added flavor.
- Customize the chilla by adding grated vegetables like carrots, zucchini, or bell peppers to the batter for extra nutrition and flavor.
- Experiment with various spices and herbs like coriander powder, garam masala, or fresh cilantro to suit your taste preferences.
- For a protein boost, add a handful of soaked and drained moong dal (split yellow lentils) to the batter.
Enjoy your homemade Besan Chilla (Pudla) for a delicious and nutritious meal!
Feel free to make any adjustments or ask for additional details if needed!