Bean and Vegetable Stew Recipe: A Labor of Love for Ultimate Comfort
Warm, nutritious, and comforting, a hearty bean and vegetable stew is the perfect dish for a cozy night in. Packed with wholesome ingredients, this stew is not only delicious but also incredibly healthy. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the process of creating this delightful dish step by step.
Ingredients: For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
For the Stew:
- 1 cup of dried beans (your choice – black beans, kidney beans, or navy beans)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup of corn kernels (frozen or canned)
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Seasoning:
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice preference)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Grated cheese (vegan or dairy, as preferred)
- Crusty bread for dipping
Step 1: Prepare the Beans
- Rinse the dried beans thoroughly under cold water to remove any debris.
- Soak the beans in water overnight to soften. If you’re short on time, you can use the quick soak method by bringing the beans to a boil, then letting them sit for one hour.
Step 2: Sauté the Aromatics
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and minced garlic. Sauté until the onions turn translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
Step 3: Add Vegetables and Spices
- Add carrots, celery, bell pepper, and zucchini to the pot. Sauté for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Sprinkle ground cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes over the vegetables. Stir well to coat the vegetables evenly with the spices.
Step 4: Combine Beans and Broth
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans.
- Add the beans, vegetable broth, water, diced tomatoes, corn, bay leaf, fresh thyme, and dried oregano to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Step 5: Simmer and Cook
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and let the stew simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender and the flavors meld together. Stir occasionally.
Step 6: Season and Serve
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Season the stew with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley and grated cheese, if desired. Don’t forget the crusty bread for dipping!
This Bean and Vegetable Stew is not only a hearty and wholesome meal but also a versatile one. You can easily adapt it to your taste by adding your favorite vegetables or adjusting the level of spiciness. It’s perfect for a chilly evening or for batch cooking to enjoy throughout the week. Try this recipe, and you’ll have a nutritious and comforting meal in no time!