The Ultimate Apple Pie Recipe: A Timeless Classic Worth Baking
Apple pie is a timeless dessert that combines the sweetness of apples with a flaky, buttery crust. This classic recipe will guide you through creating the perfect apple pie, sure to be a hit at any gathering.
For the Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
For the Filling:
- 6 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples (a mix of tart and sweet varieties)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Prepare the Pie Crust
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, and salt.
- Add cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing gently, until the dough just comes together.
- Divide the dough in half, shape each into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
3. Prepare the Filling
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Toss until the apples are evenly coated.
4. Roll Out the Pie Crust
- Take one disc of dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Place the rolled dough into the pie dish, trimming any excess and crimping the edges.
5. Fill the Pie
- Place the prepared apple filling into the pie crust-lined dish.
- Dot the top of the filling with small pieces of butter.
6. Top with the Second Crust
- Roll out the second disc of dough and carefully place it over the apple filling.
- Trim any excess dough and seal the edges by crimping with a fork or pinching with your fingers.
- Cut a few slits on top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
7. Bake the Pie
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any spills and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and continue baking for another 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
8. Cool and Serve
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, optionally topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Enjoy this classic apple pie with its perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors!