Crafting Cornish Pasties with Love: An Ultimate Recipe for Hearty Delights
Cornish pasties are traditional hand-held pies hailing from Cornwall, England. These savory treats are packed with hearty fillings and encased in a flaky pastry crust. Follow this detailed recipe to create a taste of Cornwall in your own kitchen, Crafting Cornish Pasties with Love: An Ultimate Recipe for Hearty Delights.
For the Pastry:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup ice-cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 lb (450g) beef skirt or chuck, diced
- 1 lb (450g) russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup rutabaga (swede), peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Part 1: Making the Pastry
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the ice-cold water and mix until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions, shape them into discs, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Part 2: Preparing the Filling
- In a separate bowl, mix the diced beef, potatoes, rutabaga, chopped onion, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Part 3: Assembling the Pasties
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take one of the pastry discs and roll it out on a floured surface to about 8-10 inches in diameter.
- Place a portion of the filling mixture on one-half of the pastry round, leaving a border around the edge.
- Fold the other half of the pastry over the filling to create a semi-circle shape.
- Crimp the edges to seal the pasty. You can use a fork or pinch the edges with your fingers.
- Repeat this process for the remaining pastry discs and filling.
Part 4: Baking the Pasties
- Place the pasties on the prepared baking sheet.
- Beat an egg and brush it over the tops of the pasties for a golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the pasties are golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
Serve and Enjoy:
Your homemade Cornish pasties are ready to be enjoyed! These make for a perfect lunch, snack, or picnic treat. The golden, flaky crust and flavorful filling are sure to delight your taste buds.
Note: Cornish pasties can be made with various fillings, so feel free to get creative with your favorite ingredients. Enjoy your culinary journey to Cornwall!